Monday, July 26, 2010

Art 111 journal entry #3

Josef Albers makes some excellent points regarding our visual memory, specifically in relation to color. He points out that everyone has a different visual image when specific colors are brought to mind. Even very specific shades of color with very specific references (like the red in the coke logo) will be interpreted differently by different people. It's interesting to think that what I may consider my favorite color might seem ugly to someone else only because their brain recalls a different image. When I think of the color yellow, I imagine the bright, soft yellow of a canary. This is probably because my mother bred and sold canaries for many years when I was young. When I hear the color blue, I immediately imagine a bright, electric blue. This often leaves me disappointed....I asked for a blue tie once and the gift giver and I obviously had very different interpretations of the color. Albers says that this is because we have a terrible visual memory and our brains basically make a best guess at colors. This is probably why there is so much variance in eyewitness accounts to crimes.

No comments: